Celebrating Life on the Homefront – 7 & 8 Jul 2018
The Inn at Woodhall Spa
The Inn at Woodhall Spa The Broadway - Woodhall Spa Events
About the Venue
This fine, timbered building began as a house built for the Blyton family in the 1870s. Mr. Charles Blyton was a nurseryman and florist, with land stretching up what is now Spa Road, behind the station.
In 1882, the house was converted to be an hotel and it appeared on Visitors Lists of the Spa, in the summer of that year. In 1889, there were further alterations to the “Eagle Lodge Pension Hotel.” It could then accommodate 30 to 40 “invalids and visitors.” The date 1889 is written on a pipe at first floor level, at the front of the building. In February 1890, a new company took over the premises and licence, which totalled £12,000.
In 1935, it was advertised for sale by auction and was said to have 37 bedrooms. However, it was withdrawn from the sale at £5,500. It served as the Officer’s Mess for 627 Sqn a Mosquito pathfinder unit operating from RAF Woodhall Spa in the latter stages of WW2. In the late 1960s it was purchased by the local authority to become a Home for the Elderly. However, towards the end of the twentieth century it reverted to being the “Eagle Lodge Hotel” ands this is how many local residents remember it.
The group, “Hoby Hotels Ltd,” purchased the hotel in 2005 and after many improvements and alterations, it became “The Woodhall Spa Hotel,” in the year 2006.
The Woodhall Spa Hotel closed in 2012 and reopened as the “Inn at Woodhall Spa” in 2013, with a brasserie, family-orientated pub and carvery, and twenty-six rooms.